Skip to main content

If a grantee of a quit claim deed in Illinois does not want the property what steps should be taken?

Morton, IL |

A partner and I purchased a house to ultimately renovate and sell. The tax bill for the dwelling is in both our names. There is no loan; only a verbal agreement that we are to be 50/50 partners. My partner (unknown until the paperwork arrived) quit claimed the property to me. I do not want to solely be responsible for the taxes, insurance and maintenance as that was not the verbal agreement. Can he just quit claim it over to me and I have to take responsibility? Can I just quit claim it back to him?

Attorney Answers 2


You can quitclaim it back and he can then quitclaim it back and you can continue the merry-go-round until you both get dizzy. Alternatively, you and he can discuss the situation and figure out how to deal with the partnership. Even if you paid the full amount of taxes he would still owe you half under the partnership agreement.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful


You may also argue that acceptance is a required element of the conveyance, but that still leaves you with clearing up the title issue. If you cannot work it out promptly, see an attorney before it gets more involved.

The scope of this space does not afford an opportunity to adequately advise you. The response provided is intended to be informative, but not final. You are advised to arrange a consultation at which all facts and documents can be explored and terms for representation agreed. An attorney-client relationship must be formally established.

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics