If a friend was accused of raping a girl underage and the family want to hurt him and have tried numerous time what should he d

Asked almost 2 years ago - Abilene, TX

they have not notified the police and he is scared for his life

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jim Mitchell Medley

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Your friend is in a tough situation. A group of people in the local community want to hurt him for something they think he has done wrong. I presume he can't go to the police because of the rape allegation . . .

    Regardless of what he may have done illegally, the family of the girl is not legally justified in physically hurting him. He has the right to defend himself with whatever force is reasonably believed to be immediately necessary to defend himself from another's use or attempted use of unlawful force. He can also move away if he thinks his safety depends on it.

    That being said, he probably doesn't want to have to walk around the rest of him life looking over his shoulder either. As long as he is not charged, he can always relocate to another area and start a new life. This may sound extreme, but it is an option.

    As far as the rape allegation goes, if it is at all true, or if the allegation is going to made made, he needs to get counsel from a reputable local lawyer there- someone who can help him.

  2. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If your friend is being accused of rape he needs to talk with a criminal defense lawyer, now.

    If he is being threatened he should perhaps find a place to hole up until he can talk to that lawyer.

    If there are attempts to hurt him, he should call the police but first talk to the lawyer unless he feels he is in danger. See the link below about talking to the police.

    Are we talking rape, or consensual sexual intercourse with an underage person? Both are serious but there is a legal and moral difference.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

    Thank you.

    --- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page

    --- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police

    --- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)


    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

    I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

    If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

    Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

    Click on the “more” link below for more important information about this answer and AVVO.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for... more
  3. Jay Bodzin

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm sorry, it's difficult to understand your situation from the description here. Please see this Guide for some tips on how to write an effective question:

    If a person's been threatened with physical harm, they should usually contact the police. If they've been accused of a crime, they should consult with a criminal defense attorney, in private. It's not quite clear from the question which applies here.

    Please read the following notice:

    Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,028 answers this week

3,023 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,028 answers this week

3,023 attorneys answering