Skip to main content

If a father signs away his parental rights, does he still have to pay child support? My ex is trying to get out of his obligatio

Charlotte Court House, VA |

I have full custody and he has visitation, but never wants to get the kids. The only reason he wanted visitation is so that.he could claim one of them on his taxes. Now he has told people he wants to sign his rights away so he doesn't have to pay support which is set at a pitiful $500 a month for 3 kids

Attorney Answers 1


You cannot "sign away" your parental rights in Virginia. You should consult reputable local counsel to enforce the provisions of your Child Support Order and discuss amending it. You could also discuss an Order changing the terms of your current Custody and Visitation Order to reflect the change in the tax dependency exemption. Good luck.

Please remember that if you find an answer particularly helpful, we appreciate you marking it as "best answer" or helpful so that the attorneys who volunteer their time to answer these questions have feedback. I cannot offer you any legal advice. No attorney can offer you legal advice specific to your case without a thorough review of your case history and the formation of an attorney-client relationship. This answer in no way establishes an attorney-client relationship. The Virginia State Bar offers a lawyer referral service at

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics