If a father signs away his parental rights, does he still have to pay child support? My ex is trying to get out of his obligatio

Asked 9 months ago - Charlotte Court House, VA

I have full custody and he has visitation, but never wants to get the kids. The only reason he wanted visitation is so that.he could claim one of them on his taxes. Now he has told people he wants to sign his rights away so he doesn't have to pay support which is set at a pitiful $500 a month for 3 kids

1. Clayton Andrew Worthington

4

Answered . You cannot "sign away" your parental rights in Virginia. You should consult reputable local counsel to enforce the provisions of your Child Support Order and discuss amending it. You could also discuss an Order changing the terms of your current Custody and Visitation Order to reflect the change in the tax dependency exemption. Good luck.