If a father pays attorney's fees for his son to work with an attorney on a "start-up" business is the father also a client?

Denver, CO |

I am trying to figure another question for my class, but this one is bugging me and I can't seem to find a definitive answer. If a parent is paying the attorney fees, even though he is only supposedly helping his child get a good start in the world, is he still a client. If he is then he has a right to know everything being discussed between his son and the attorney, correct?

No. Your father is not a client as that term is recognized under the Rules of Professional Conduct and the attorney must keep all information he has regarding your legal matters confidential.

There is no debate on this.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Thank you so much for your reply. I greatly appreciate it.

I agree with my colleague.

Avvo is not a homework helper site.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.