If a DUI is amended to RECKLESS DRIVING, does my record show a DUI conviction

Las Vegas, NV |

I had a D U I in Las Vegas and after completing all court ordered requirements it was reduced to RECKLESS DRIVING. I am getting ready to apply for a concealed weapons permit but one cannot be issued if you were convicted of a DUI within the last five years. Since it was amended to reckless driving will this affect my obtaining the permit.

If a DUI conviction is amended to reckless driving then it show a reckless driving conviction and not a DUI conviction. Thus it should not affect your ability to obtain a ccw.

No. It will not.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin http://addbalance.com Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police: http://addbalance.com/police.htm

You started with a DUI (as charged)

but finished (sentenced) to a reckless offense
then the Reckless was pled and sentenced
NOT the DUI

Lawrence (Larry) Newman, D.C., J.D. Attorney at Law Doctor of Chiropractic Licensed in NY, PA, NJ, & FL http://www.ithacainjurylawyer.com http://www.ithacadwi.com The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Dr. Newman strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Your SCOPE (Shared Computer Operations for Protection and Enforcement), or criminal history will show an arrest for DUI, but will also have an entry for the amended charge of reckless driving. As far as your motor vehicle report is concerned, you will have an entry for reckless driving - an 8 point violation. Ask the DMV if you can do traffic school through them to reduce the points down to 4, that way you don't get raked over the coals when your insurance policy renews.

Traffic tickets topics