If a DUI is amended to RECKLESS DRIVING, does my record show a DUI conviction

Asked over 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

I had a D U I in Las Vegas and after completing all court ordered requirements it was reduced to RECKLESS DRIVING. I am getting ready to apply for a concealed weapons permit but one cannot be issued if you were convicted of a DUI within the last five years. Since it was amended to reckless driving will this affect my obtaining the permit.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. William Berry Palmer

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If a DUI conviction is amended to reckless driving then it show a reckless driving conviction and not a DUI conviction. Thus it should not affect your ability to obtain a ccw.

  2. Daniel R. Page

    Contributor Level 2


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your SCOPE (Shared Computer Operations for Protection and Enforcement), or criminal history will show an arrest for DUI, but will also have an entry for the amended charge of reckless driving. As far as your motor vehicle report is concerned, you will have an entry for reckless driving - an 8 point violation. Ask the DMV if you can do traffic school through them to reduce the points down to 4, that way you don't get raked over the coals when your insurance policy renews.

  3. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No. It will not.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in... more
  4. Lawrence A. Newman

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You started with a DUI (as charged)

    but finished (sentenced) to a reckless offense
    then the Reckless was pled and sentenced
    NOT the DUI

    Lawrence (Larry) Newman, D.C., J.D. Attorney at Law Doctor of Chiropractic Licensed in NY, PA, NJ, & FL... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,925 answers this week

2,984 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,925 answers this week

2,984 attorneys answering