Skip to main content

If a driver files a false police report trying to incriminate you for an accident could they be held accountable?

Harrisburg, PA |

Driver stated she had a green arrow for her left hand turn. She turned into the path of our vehicle. A witness came forward weeks after and confirmed what we had stated, that we did have a green light. The accident was considered no-fault and our car was totaled only two weeks after purchase. We have yet to receive the updated police report. Can we hold her accountable for the false reporting?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Section 3748 ((relating to accident reports) states: "Any person who gives information in oral or written reports required by this subchapter knowing or having reason to believe that the information is false is guilty of a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $200." You insurance company and her insurance company should be treating this as her fault. Her insurance Company should pay your damages. You probably should hire an attorney to help out since "totaling" your call might not enable you to receive a settlement that will pay off any financing or enable you to purchase a replacement. The insurance company will likely say that your car is worth 80% of what you paid for it.

  2. I would concentrate on your claim. If you are injured, you should seek counsel now.

    This answer contains general information only; and it is not intended as legal advice. It is not intended to and does not create an attorney client relationship. Information contained here is only a starting point and you should consider discussing your specific problem in depth with a licensed attorney.

  3. It is very common for differing versions of how an accident occurred to arise even after the police have investigated. Practically speaking, there is little you can personally do to the adverse driver even if they made false statements in the police report. I doubt any attorney would pursue such an action for you. However, if you were injured in the accident then you should immediately utilize Avvo to locate a local personal injury attorney in your city.

  4. Sounds like driver failed to yield. Retain a personal injury lawyer. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics