Skip to main content

If a domestic relationship under Arizona law. Can you only get an order of protection or can get a IAH?

Chandler, AZ |

If I broke up with a woman and she harassing me. Since, it was a former sexual relationship. I have to apply for an order of protection or can I try for an Injunction against Harassment? Since, it's technically a domestic relationship being sexual under AZ law making it domestic. But, I know an order of protection requires the petitioner to allege certain enumerated crimes to qualify (having a higher standard to qualify) and a IAH doesn't. Can I try for an IAH even though its domestic relationship or can I only apply for an order of protection due to the type of relationship?

Attorney Answers 1

  1. In my experience it really depends on the clerk - usually you get an IAH for a non-sexual and non-familial relationship and an OP for one of the previously mentioned relationships, but I've seen cases where it looked like one or the other was more appropriate based on the circumstances. Many people will tell you they're basically the same, and in a number of ways they are, but you should go for the one you want and let the court steer you how they will.

    Anyone viewing this web site should not act on any information contained on this site without seeking professional counsel from an attorney. Use of this web site and/or transmission of information to the firm is not intended to create, and should not be construed as creating, an attorney-client relationship with the firm or any of its attorneys. If you choose to communicate with the firm or any of its attorneys or other personnel through this web site, do not transmit any confidential or sensitive information by e-mail until you have spoken to an attorney from our firm either by telephone or in person. This web site may be considered advertising under applicable laws and ethical rules. The Law Offices of Brent D. Harris, PLLC do not seek to represent anyone in any state where lawyers in the firm are not admitted to practice, or in any state where this web site fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics