If a dog bites a person's face (person was a guest in the home) does Colorado law state if that dog must be put down?

Castle Rock, CO |

A guest was visiting a neighbor. That neighbor's dog bit the face so bad, reconstructive surgery is needed. The owner has said on Facebook over time the dog had aggression issues with the family and they were actively looking to rehome it because it was no longer safe to keep him. However, the owner has now scrubbed all of those posts (a sign of hiding something IMO). The owner knew, based on admission, the dog has had problems yet let the dog around others. Does law state the dog must be put down? The dog is living in a house full of kids and as a neighbor, there are kids in and out and guests in and out.

1. Not necessarily. the dog will be tested for rabies and other possible diseases. if it has been a continuos problem. the dog might get put down. however, the injured person should see a doctor and personal in jury attorney

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

2. The neighbor should get a personal injury lawyer to go after the homeowner's insurance.

3. I don't think that is a requirement. I hope the guest has a good recovery. At any rate, the guest should find a good personal injury attorney. The other attorneys posted good answers also, you should read them.

The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

4. Neighbor should immediately consult a local personal injury attorney for assistance - many offer free consultations

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

5. The other attorneys have given good advice. The only thing I would add is that, given this dog's aggressive behavior, the neighbors should take extra care to keep their kids from being around the dog. You can also check with your local animal control department about whether the dog should be left in the home.

6. The owner of the dog knows that the dog has the ability to injure so the owner is now in a much different situation. I had a similar case in Douglas county this past year involving a bite to the face that resulted in surgery for a child who was a guest in the house
    The person who was injured needs an attorney. If they have any questions I would be willing to talk to them to answer those based on what occurred in the case I had.

7. In the State of Colorado, if a person suffers serious bodily injury or death from being bitten by a dog while that person is a guest of the neighbor and is lawfully on the premises, that person (or the person's personal representative) is entitled to bring a civil action to recover economic damages (i.e. medical expenses incurred as a result of undergoing reconstructive surgery) against the dog owner regardless of the viciousness or dangerous propensities of the dog (or the owner's knowledge or lack thereof). In addition to recovery for economic damages, a claim may also exist to recover non-economic damages. This person should contact a personal injury lawyer. I would be happy to speak with them.

8. After a lawsuit is filed under Colorado's dog bite statute, the court can be asked via motion to have the dog destroyed. You have to prove it is a vicious dog and that it caused serious bodily injury [SBI]. Hire a good lawyer.