If a defendant does not produce pictures through written discovery, then the defendant cannot introduce those pictures during

Lathrop, CA |

trial, correct?

In California Superior Court, if a party asked for the photos in discovery and was told there are no pictures which is untrue, then the photos cannot be offered into evidence by the responding party without a sound explanation for not producting them in discovery and for the false discovery response. In California Superior Court, if no party asked for particular documents in discovery (such as photos), then the photos can be used at trial as exhibits.

By: Robert Stempler (Please see DISCLAIMER below)
    CONSUMER LAW OFFICE OF ROBERT STEMPLER
    A Professional Law Corporation

NOTICE: The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal advice or advice of any sort for a specific case or legal matter. If you do not have a signed attorney-client fee agreement with the Consumer Law Office of Robert Stempler, APC ("the Firm"), then until such written fee agreement is provided and signed by both a prospective client and attorney for a particular case, neither Mr. Stempler nor the Firm will represent you nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for retaining your own attorney and for compliance with any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain to potential claims. Comments made on a public forum, such as Avvo.com, to not have any confidentiality because others may read them. The result portrayed for a client was dependent on the facts of that case. Results will differ if based on different facts. The Firm and Mr. Stempler are a debt relief agency. The Firm and Mr. Stempler help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

2. Generally true. However, there can be exceptions. If you ask required me to produce photos in discovery in May, but I didn't get the photos until June, I probably could use them in trial.

3. If you are already involved in litigation, then this would be an excellent question to direct to the attorney or law firm representing you in the lawsuit itself. He or she should be able to explain what was requested, what was produced, and the strategy regarding any remaining evidence the attorney(s) believe(s) is still in the possession of the defendant. If the defendant was in possession of relevant, responsive evidence at the time a response was served, but that evidence was not produced in response to the request, then there should be good grounds for a motion in limine (a pre-trial motion) asking the court to exclude that evidence from trial.

Answers I provide on Avvo are for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship between my law office and either the person posting the question or anyone else reading the question and response. California law, where I am licensed to practice, requires that attorneys enter into a written retainer agreement with clients and unless and until anyone does so, it is not my intention to create an attorney-client relationship. If you desire specific legal advice upon which you can rely and act, then I strongly recommend you retain an attorney with proper credentials and experience in your area.