If a defendant declares themself not guilty at arraignment is it mandatory that the case go to trial?

Marietta, GA |

Does it have to go through a trial or can a deal be worked out with the the DA without it making it to trial?

1. A case can always be worked out before trial. Most attorneys will plead their clients not guilty at arraignment to give time to investigate the case and determine if the case will be worked out or whether the case is going to trial.

2. You can make whatever deal that makes sense to both you and the prosecution prior to trial.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-668-3790 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at don@HawbakerLaw.) An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated my Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

3. 99% of defendants plead not guilty at arraignment, and 90% of those people never go to trial.

4. A not guilty plea is almost always the first type of plea to be entered and almost as often cases get resolved before trial. In fact a not guilty plea is what starts "change of plea" negotiations. The vast majority of cases start up as not guilty and wind up with a guilty or no contest plea. Good luck.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

5. Typically, at arraignment, you will always enter a not guilty plea so the lawyer has time to investigate the case and review all the discovery (evidence) that the state has. After that, you can always enter a guilty plea after negotiating a deal with the prosecutor (which occurs about 90% of the time). Otherwise, a trial will be scheduled and you will take the case to trial.