If a decedent had a living revocable trust, then died, and a few days before they died, a relative got ahold of the trust, then

Albany, CA |

that relative didn't show it to other family members until over a month after the decedent's death, were they breaking any laws for the time that they kept the trust to themselves? Seems like fraudulent concealment to me, but maybe not...

They didn't break any laws. This is not the same thing as saying they acted properly.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

I do not think there is any action for fraudulent concealment. If the relative is the trustee you will want to be certain he acts properly in administering the trust and may want to retain an attorney to represent your interests.

The above answer is not to be considered legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. You should consult your attorney for specific legal advice as to your individual situation.

What were the damages? Yes, they should not have done that, but did those actions cause any tangible harm?

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.

Yes, they did cause a lot of harm. I wound up losing a house over it. I got told everything was 50.50, which sounded fair and great. After I signed some things I was given and about a month after the death, I received copies of the trust which named me as the successor trustee. I was supposed to get the whole house but instead I lost out of half ownership and subsquently was pressured into selling it. I wish I hadn't. If I had seen the trust right away, things would be different now.

Charles Adam Shultz

Charles Adam Shultz

You need to see a trust litigator. There may be liability but you have way too much to get into through these boards.

I know I do. Thanks. Can you recommend a good pro bono trust litigator? I have no money.

Wills and estates topics