Skip to main content

If a couple was married in Egypt and lived in California for 7 years and had two kids here which laws would apply for divorce

Glendale, CA |

the marriage was in Egypt but the last 7 years have been spent in CA and are where both kids were born and where the individuals will likely continue to live. What laws would apply for divorce and marital asset separation?

Attorney Answers 3


California Laws as that is where you live.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


California law, community property. Best of luck!

I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


If you reside here in California, then California laws will apply regardless of where you got married or where the children were born. You must reside here for at least 6 months prior to filing for divorce here in CA. Suggest you seek the help of a family law attorney.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics