If a couple decided to get married and one of them is a non US citizen on a visitor's visa for six months, when is it too late?

Asked about 2 years ago - Norman, OK

When does the couple have to file for marriage before it's too late for the visitor?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . When a B1/B2 visitor such as yourself gets lawfully admitted into the country with an I-94, it doesn't matter, if you file for AOS thru marriage to a USC if you have been out of status for 1 month or 5. Try not to be out of status for more than 6 when filing, for you won't (should not) use an Advance Parole document to travel out of the country, for if you do, you will be triggering the 3 or 10 year bar and your spouse will need to file an extreme hardship waiver on your behalf, which grant is totally discretionary. Of course, you will not face any of that if you never leave the country until you actually obtain the green card. In such a situation, you could be out of status for years, but still be able to file for AOS as the spouse of a USC.

2. Gen Kimura

3

Answered . Are you a U.S. citizen? If you are, you can sponsor your spouse.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.