If a company hires you knowing you have no experience, and it seems race was a deciding factor...can I sue?

Chicago, IL |

The company I work for laid off/retired a huge chunk of a dpt-(X) they were shutting down.
In an other dpt-(Y) they eliminated and re-hired people under a different title and gave them added duties.

From the other dpt "x" just a handful of people were re-hired...they all fit the mold (black, hispanic, asian, white).

Non of those rehired from "x" dpt had the required skills to perform in the new "y" dpt, just half the skills.

Some were allowed to continue doing just what they knew from the previous dpt "x", others have been placed in a probation for not performing well with the new added skills. Now the company is threatening to fire them, or are given the resign option.

Is there a case here based on race?

No, because multiple reasons are apparent (from what you posted) for the proposed firings or resignations.

As an at-will employee, you can quit at any time for any reason, you can be fired for any reason, a rotten reason, or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Workplace Discrimination: A Basis for Wrongful Termination Claims"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose a Lawyer for you.”

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Religious belief, age, gender, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. This observation is not like a communication with a lawyer with whom you have an attorney-client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides.

Recommended articles about Employment