If a childs birth certificate says father unknown and the step dad wants to adopt this child is it a law they have to find him

Clarksville, TN |
Filed under: Birth certificate

my son in law wants to adopt my granddaught but was told they have to find the father even though the birth certificate says father unknown. They were told that my daughter would have to pick someone and then put in the news paper about her husband wanting to adopt his step child. And sense that child was born in another state from the state they live in do they have to go to court there for the adoption proceedings.

1. Adoption is goverened by the law of the state where the adoption will take place (whihc is where the child has resided) so you need to find a competent professional in your jurisdiction to assit. It is customary to have to search for the birth father to process an adoption and it normally does not matter that he is not on the birth certificate. Please consult www.adoptionattorneys.org for assistance. Jeanne Trudeau Tate