If a child gets hurt at school and cannot afford to pay medical bills can the school be help responsible to pay bills

Asked over 5 years ago - Syracuse, NY

my child and another child was involved in a scooter accident while at recess in school. I was not informed of the accident until a month after the parent wanted me to pay the medical bill because the child complained a couple of days later that her knee hurt. Am I resonsible?

1. Neal Andrew Goldstein

Answered . Maybe. It depends on how the child was hurt. School cases are difficult but with a lawyer that has handled these matters you might be able to substantiate some negligence on the part of the school. Since these matters are difficult you should consider asking the school if they have a medical policy for the students that are hurt on their property.

2. Jeena R. Belil

Answered . Just to add to Brian's answer, you should speak to a personal injury attorney right away regarding the facts and circumstances of the matter. I'm assuming that you are talking about a New York Public School. In New York, you only have 90 days from the date of the accident to file a document called a Notice of Claim. If you fail to file within the required time frame, you need to have a very good reason to extend the filing period.

Best of luck.

3. Brian Wyld Freeman

Pro

Answered . You should seek the advice of a NY personal injury lawyer because the school, or someone else, may or may not be liable for the injuries to your child depending on the particular facts of your case.