If a case was dismissed in texas does that mean i was convicted?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

i was looking at my criminal background record; in 1993 i was charged with assault and assault/fv both charges have a disposition of dism (dismissed).

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Leighton D'Antoni

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is quite possible, but speaking from experience, I would not always rely on the disposition codes listed by the Dallas County website for criminal records. I find errors on those sites all the time. You might want to have a local experienced criminal defense attorney review your past record and consult you on what your options are depending on those findings. You may be in a good position to have those criminal records expunged / sealed or have an order of non-disclosure.

    Feel free to call me for a free consultation. We have experience in investigating client's criminal records and advising them on how to get those records taken out of the public eye.

    Good Luck!

    Leighton D'Antoni
    Attorney at Law

    Law Offices of Leighton D'Antoni
    Downtown Dallas
    900 Jackson St. Suite 750
    Dallas, TX 75202
    (214) 960-9360 (phone)
    (214) 666-3901 (fax)

    Collin County
    1400 Preston Road
    4th Floor
    Plano, TX 75093
    (214) 960-9360

    This response is NOT legal advice and we do not have an attorney client relationship. You should only follow... more
  2. Michael Lawrence Doyle


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It means that you were not convicted. However, many states still maintain the record of the arrest. Talk to a local attorney to see if there is anything that can be done to remove the arrest record.

  3. John Leif Fossum

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Dismissed is not the same as convicted. If you have questions about the record, you might contact the court where the case occurred.

    This response does not create an attorney client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,175 answers this week

3,020 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,175 answers this week

3,020 attorneys answering