If a California judge rules a "tentative" ruling of dismissal for an unlimited civil case, for failure to follow a court order

Northridge, CA |

for failing to provide all of discovery - though plaintiffs made every conceivable effort to answer the 165 questions appropriately - what does the qualifier "tentatively" mean legally?

1. A tentative ruling states what the judge plans to do based on the papers. The parties can still go to court to try to convince the court to rule otherwise. Tentative rulings should state the basis for the court's decision, so you will know what to focus on at the hearing. You may have to give the other party and the court notice that you plan to appear at the hearing. Check the local rules.

2. A tentative ruling is just that, tentative. It announces the intended ruling of the court. In most cases, that will be the ruling of the court unless the court issues some other ruling after oral argument.

For more on what the tentative ruling may mean in your case and for the required procedures if the court issues a tentative ruling prior to the morning of the hearing see California Rules of Court Rule 3.1308: http://www.courts.ca.gov/cms/rules/index.cfm?title=three&linkid=rule3_1308

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

3. I agree with Mr. Daymude and Mr. Eschen. A tentative ruling is precisely as it sounds: the court's tentative decision based on the papers before it. It is a strong indication of how you can expect the court to rule on the motion, unless either party can convince it otherwise at the hearing on the motion.

Best of luck to you.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, and should not be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author, and Pham Law Group does not represent you as your attorneys until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both parties.