If a business or person sells "LEGAL" weed to someone and they commit suicide can they be held liable?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Marietta, OH

If "LEGAL" weed is against the law and a business or person sold it to my son and he committed suicide can either the manufacturers, distributors or person be held liable and can they be sued in civil court?

Can they be sued for pain and suffering for the lose of my son?

1. Timothy Leo Bowden

8

Answered . Not necessarily. There has to be proof that somehow the weed caused him to commit suicide. And that will be difficult to show

Tim

2. Clayton Harold Walker Jr.

Pro

7

Answered . Product manufacturers and distributors can be held accountable for defective products under a variety of theories. You should talk to a products liability personal injury lawyer. Statutes of limitations for these types of claims can be fairly short.

Pro

7

Answered . Marijuana is illegal under federal law.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. George Costas Andriotis

6

Answered . Defective product claims are made every day. That being said it must be proven that the product was defective, that the user followed the guidelines and warnings for consumption and that there were no other contributing factors on the user's part. These are very difficult to prove but not impossible given the right claim.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  5. Adam Jeffrey Curry

4

Answered . Very sorry for your loss. It's a tough case; but, you may want to contact an attorney in your area to discuss the legal possibilities and ability to recover. Hopefully each day gets easier. Best of luck.

6. Robert Bruce Kopelson

5

Answered . By legal weed do you mean weed that is in a state where it is legal to sell? here in Ca, you have to have a doctors prescription to get it. I dont think you have much chance on this case. You have to prove the weed caused him to commit suicide, and that the person who sold it apparently legally, had some duty to him and knew he was contemplating suicide. Talk to a local lawyer.

7. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with the general trend of the answers that it would be a very difficult case.
    Very sorry for your loss.