If a bank account is made payable to you upon death (pod), do you have to claim it on taxes?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hamilton, OH

My father recently passed away and left an account for a sibling and myself as a pod. I didn't think an account of this would be taxable.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. C L Huddleston III


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are two types of tax: Income tax and estate tax.

    First, estate tax, Ohio and Federal: If your father died in 2013, there is no Ohio estate tax. If he died in 2012, all assets greater than $338,333 passing at his death (except life insurance) are subject to the Ohio estate tax, which is about 7%. If his estate is greater than $5 million, there may be federal estate tax. If less than that, there is none.

    Second, income tax: Unless the account is a deferred income account like an annuity or IRA, there is no income tax to the inheritors. If it is a simple bank account--checking, savings or money market--there is no income tax to the POD recipients.

    Mr. Huddleston is an Ohio-Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law, with offices in Columbus... more
  2. William Thomas Schemmel

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Generally, the beneficiary of a POD account inherits the account free of federal income taxes. Nevertheless, income earned while the decedent was alive is reported on the decedent's final tax return. This is really a tax question. Please see disclaimer below.

    The foregoing is a general answer based upon limited information, should not be construed as legal advice , and... more
  3. Ronald J Cappuccio


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A payable on death bank account, originally referred to as "Totten Trust" accounts, are includable in the estate of the decedent. Therefore if the estate is subject to federal estate tax, then this account would be included. It is also subject to state estate tax and possibly stay inheritance tax. In New Jersey there would be no transfer inheritance tax from parent to child, yet depending on the size of the estate, if it were greater than $675,000, there could be state estate tax.

    I know this is confusing, that is why you need to speak to a tax and estate attorney in your area.

    I hope this helps!

    Ron Cappuccio

    If you do not like this answer or disagree, please look at one of the other answers provided. It is not necessary... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,338 answers this week

2,978 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,338 answers this week

2,978 attorneys answering