If a attorney refuses to give me copies of everything in my file, what is the best line of action for me to take

Asked over 1 year ago - Arlington, TX

if I request all paperwork - subpoenas, accusers phone records, letters from phone company, etc. and my attorney denies them to me or threatens to withdraw from my case, what is the absolute best line of action to take to make him/her comply without with my request, so that they can't withdraw and without having to go to the state bar ?

1. Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Pro

Answered . It depends on why your lawyer does not want to give you the documents. You may have a right to copies or there may be a court order preventing disclosure on third party privacy issues. You may be creating a conflict with your lawyer that will force the lawyer to withdraw. Before you do anything hasty, you should sit down with another lawyer and go over the details of what is going on. Since you say "accuser" I assume this is a criminal matter and I have changed the practice area.

2. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

Answered . You can't prevent him from filing a motion to withdraw. The judge may not grant it if you are on your fourth attorney. The only entity that can hold the attorney accountable is the stat bar. I would send him a certified letter demanding a complete copy of your file.