IF a alleged victim says they were robbed can they retaliate and then tell the police?

Mays Landing, NJ |

Victims of a robbery went to the alleged robbers home assaulted the robber. the police come to the robbers home and victims say yes we broke in his home but he robbed us. who will win in court?

1. You are not permitted to engage in self help and assault someone you believe robbed you. There is no self defense indicated in this fact pattern. You should have called the police and let them handle it. You can be prosecuted for assault and possibly other crimes. If there is evidence that other party committed burglary, then it may be possible that they be prosecuted as well.

2. Both will lose.

3. Both will be prosecuted and both will probably lose, but what if the robber wins and the victims lose?

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida. If you wish to contact the above attorney, see his profile at this website.

4. Victims are now the defendants. They are facing assault charges, burglary charges, and possibly more depending on the additional facts. Assaulting someone who robbed you first is not justification for retaliation.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.

5. Both side committed crimes if believed. The robber and the assaulters.