Skip to main content

If a 16 yr old get pregnant by a 21 yr old, can charges be filed years later? We lived in Texas. What is statue of limitations?

Bellaire, TX |

My daughter when off to job corps and began dating a 21 year old man. He checked her out of school without my permission, and has since gotten her pregnant. I've read that there is no statue of limitations on statutory rape in Texas. If that is true, how would I precede in a criminal case and do I need an attorney?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Any time a person has questions about criminal law and the criminal justice system, and does not want to start with the police or prosecutor's office, a good place to begin is with a brief consultation with a criminal defense lawyer. Many have been prosecutors earlier in their careers.

Others have answered the rest of the question.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.


Contact your local police department. They probably have a specialized detective that handles these types of case. He will investigate and determine whether charges should be filed.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


You say "years later", how old is your daughter now and what is her relationship with the father and their relationship with the child? If she is now an adult and has no interest in seeing a prosecution of the father, I think you should respect your daughter's wishes unless your objective is to permanently rupture your relationship with her.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer