If a, person is serving a consective sentence what are the guidelines to help change it be ran concurrent

Jackson, MS |

The charges are manslaughter and child neglect

The sentencing judge made this consecutive.I assume you are past the time to file a motion to modify?Not aware of anything else you can file if that is the case.

Whether a sentence runs concurrent or consecutive is determined by the sentencing judge (unless otherwise required by law to run consecutive)

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

If the sentences have already been assigned, you are not in a great position to petition one of the courts to run their sentence concurrent. Federally speaking, there is a 2255 petition and the direct appeal to address this.

You have to ask for a change with the judge that issued the sentence. You only have a small window of opportunity to do so.

The state of Mississippi does not certify lawyers in any specific category of law and the decision to hire an attorney should be taken only after careful consideration. My profile and any answers to questions given are strictly for the purpose of advertising my services. Nothing said should be inferred to create a lawyer/client relationship or be considered specific legal advice on your situation. Feel free to call me at 662-563-9625.