If a, person is serving a consective sentence what are the guidelines to help change it be ran concurrent

Asked 7 months ago - Jackson, MS

The charges are manslaughter and child neglect

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Valerie Floyd Portner


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The sentencing judge made this consecutive.I assume you are past the time to file a motion to modify?Not aware of anything else you can file if that is the case.

  2. Anthony Michael Solis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Whether a sentence runs concurrent or consecutive is determined by the sentencing judge (unless otherwise required by law to run consecutive)

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT... more
  3. Jeffrey J. Padgett


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You have to ask for a change with the judge that issued the sentence. You only have a small window of opportunity to do so.

    The state of Mississippi does not certify lawyers in any specific category of law and the decision to hire an... more
  4. Stephen F Wallace

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If the sentences have already been assigned, you are not in a great position to petition one of the courts to run their sentence concurrent. Federally speaking, there is a 2255 petition and the direct appeal to address this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,130 answers this week

3,160 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,130 answers this week

3,160 attorneys answering