Skip to main content

If 18, how do I give guardianship to my sister until 21 in Mississippi?

Booneville, MS |

I moved from NC to MS. I am 18 and legally am adult in NC but for college purposes, I need to submit proof of residency based upon my sister, since I live with her and she provides for me. Since college residency is based upon your parent/guardian if under 21, how can I transfer my rights to my sister?

Attorney Answers 2


You would need to file a Petition for Guardianship to allow your sister to have legal guardianship over you. Will your parents consent to the guardianship? If so, that will make things easier.

The information provided is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely solely on my answers, but should instead contact an attorney and provide them with the details of your matter. S/he will be able to provide you with more complete advice. If you have more specific questions, feel free to contact me.

Mark as helpful




My parents do consent. This would still be the form even though I am18?; where could I find this petition?

Tchanavia Bryant

Tchanavia Bryant


Yes, you're still considered a minor in Mississippi so getting your parents to consent to the guardianship would help. You could call a chancery court and see if they have some examples or request an attorney to draft the documents for you. Some attorneys will draft the documents for small fee.


Essentially, you can't do this on your own. Your sister would have to file a Petition for "Guardianship, and your parents, if living, would either have to join and consent or be served with a summons and given the opportunity to object.

Another solution might be for you to file a Petition for Emancipation, which would make you a legal adult in Mississippi--but again your parents would have to join and consent or be served as above. You might want to check with the school to see how an emancipation would affect your eligibility for financial aid.

You will probably need to hire a lawyer to assist you with either option.

Answers provided are for informational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is intended or implied.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics