If the seller fails to perform the repairs she agreed to do prior to closing,is she liable to reimburse me for costs?

Asked over 2 years ago - Dumont, NJ

She agreed in writing.My expenses include: bank charges;legal fees;inspection fees, etc

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James Alexander Abate


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is a question you should pose to your attorney that handled the closing. If repairs that were agreed to where not performed before closing, a lawyer should require that money be placed in escrow to pay for a contractor to make the repairs.

    Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364
  2. Robin Miriam Gronsky

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree that you should consult with your current real estate attorney. He should be advising you that you can refuse to close until the repairs are made and the seller agrees to reimburse you for your out-of-pocket costs, you can agree to close with an escrow agreement whereby the seller agrees to make the agreed-to repairs and reimburse you for your expenses with a generous amount set aside in escrow until the repairs are made, or you can ask the seller to give you a credit against the balance of the purchase price due and you will take care of making the repairs after the closing.

    This response is for general education purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create the... more
  3. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If the seller agreed to make the repairs, and failed to do so, she is likely responsible for your cost to make the repairs. Her actions may be a breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation or fraud.

    While matters affecting title "merge into the deed" and do not survive the closing of title, structural issues do not affect title and therefore do not merge into the deed.

    As a general rule, you have to pay your own attorney fees unless there is a specific statute or rule that permits fee shifting. For example, the NJ Consumer Fraud Act (CFA) requires that a losing defendant pay the plaintiff's attorney fees. Unfortunately, the CFA does not apply to individual homeowners.

    Thus, you may be able to get the seller to pay for the cost of repairs, but probably not your legal fees.

Related Topics

Real estate

The term real estate means land and items permanently attached to it, like buildings. This area of law deals with who has the right to own and use these items.

Albert J. Beaudreau

Why You Need a Real Estate Lawyer

Often times a real estate transaction involves the largest investment of your life. Having a real estate attorney involved can be the best insurance you have to ensure the integrity of our... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,715 answers this week

3,056 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,715 answers this week

3,056 attorneys answering