If i am 16 and my boyfriend is 21 will he go to jail if we live in florida?

Asked 12 months ago - Lakeland, FL

we like each other alot but he dosent push me or even ask for anything more then a hug or a kiss i want to make sure we are legally allowed to date of if we got pulled over or stoped somewhere publically could he go to jail? what if someone calls in on him could he go then if we are with in thoughs year of age 16-23. i dont want to put his future at risk just for us to date.

1. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

8

Answered . Dating is not illegal.

Legally, a 16 year old can date a 21 year old. Legally, a 16 year old can engage in sexual activity with a 21, 22, or 23 year old person.

But the minute the person turns 24, it becomes a second degree felony if that person engages in sexual activity with a 16 or 17 year old person.

2. Michael Adam Haber

Pro

7

Answered . You and he are skating on thin ice. You can consent to sexual activity at 16 and as long as he is under 24 and you consent then you are legally (although in my opinion neither ethically or morally) safe. Once he hits 24 then he can't be touching you, regardless of your wishes.

I suggest that you find yourself a nice young man and that he find himself an adult woman. There are too many people on this planet for either of you to risk this relationship.

Whatever you do remember that when he turns 24 then it's game on for law enforcement.

3. William Charles Rosenfelt

5

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. However, I question the wisdom of such an arrangement. Good luck.

4. Brett Jacob Szematowicz

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague that you are skating on very thin ice. I would be careful. It may be wise to find someone closer to your age who you don't need to ask if it is legal to date.

Good luck to you.

5. Joseph Julius Registrato

Pro

Answered . It is another sign of the silly and capricious times we are living in that our legislature picks even more absurd and arbitrary ages when sex becomes a crime, and it's not YOUR age that does it, but HIS!!! Crazy, huh? Anyway, all the lawyers are of course correct that it is dangerous for you to be doing this. My own opinion is you ought to stay away from him until you're 18. That makes the criminal side safe but it also helps if you're a little older for other reasons as well..

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now