Skip to main content

IDOT will be receiving my Illinois Motorist Report on the 28th day after the incident. Am I going to be in trouble?

Joliet, IL |

Reason for being late: The IMR form was unknowingly misplaced the day of the incident. I happened upon it 26 days later. I read it and in a panic filled it out and Fed-Xed it to IDOT.

Attorney Answers 7

  1. You should be OK.

  2. You should be fine. Follow up with IDOT and make sure.

    Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL

    This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

  3. It should be fine. You can always put in a call to IDOT....the insurance companies usually go off the Illinois Traffic Crash Report, and not the motorist report.

  4. You should be good.

  5. You may well be in violation of the reporting requirement but the key is to complete same and consider consulting with an attorney in your area. There may be circumstances that lead to delay in competition, however, getting it completed and sent in is your duty.

  6. It will be fine.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:

  7. Failure to file a car accident report with IDOT will hopefully not be a problem. Call them to discuss their receipt and if there are any issues.

    24 Hour Attorney Call Center (314) 361-4242 or visit us on the Web at

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics