Skip to main content

Identity theft.

Portland, OR |

I've just found out someone without a ssn has been using my ssn for... basically living his entire life. What steps do I need to take, what recourse do I have?

Attorney Answers 4


Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), you have the right to order your free credit reports from Equifax, Experian and Trans Union due to fraud. You should review the reports carefully and dispute, in writing, any errors to the credit bureaus. The credit bureaus must delete inaccurate information.

Also, you should complete an identity theft report and submit it in support of your dispute letters. You may also consider adding a freeze to your credit file. This will prevent creditors from receiving your credit report when an application for NEW credit is made with a potential creditor.

For more information, visit and click on the Frequently Asked Questions page.

Good luck!

No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. The information provided is for informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice. When you submit a question to this website, your submission does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please be aware that the transmission of an e-mail inquiry itself does not create an attorney-client relationship. We cannot serve as your counsel in any matter unless you and our firm expressly agree in writing that we serve as your attorney. You should also be aware that the statute of limitations (the deadline imposed by law within which you may bring a lawsuit) may severely limit the time remaining for you to file any potential claims you may have.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Robert Sola, Mike Baxter and Justin Baxter are Portland attorneys with the reputation of having the highest verdicts against Equifax and Trans Union. I have worked with them. I would recommend you give them a call.

If this information has been helpful, please check the thumbs up tab below. Disclaimer: The above is intended to give you some insight into various legal topics. This information is not intended as legal advice, but rather an attempt to provide helpful topical information. Although I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you about representing you, we have not established an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship requires me to agree in writing to represent you. Unless that happens, you should not take anything I say or write to be legal advice about your situation or make any decisions based on it. It is very important that you consult a lawyer as to the specific circumstances of your case. If there are more facts that you overlooked and did not include in your initial question and you would like to email me, you may send an email to Of course, sending an email to me or my firm does not create an attorney-client relationship. We do not accept client representations by email. We do not always treat unsolicited information received by email from our website as confidential unless you have first confirmed that we do not have a conflict of interest. Please do not send us any information about a potential representation until you communicate with us to find out if we have a conflict of interest with the adversary in your particular case. As a rule, we do not represent institutions against consumers so there is usually not a conflict of interest when it comes to consumer protection but it is always safe to be sure. If you send me an email without checking to ensure there is no conflict, you also agree that our review of your email or any information in it, even if you submitted it in a good faith effort to retain us, and even if you consider it confidential, will not preclude us from representing another client directly adverse to you, even in a matter where that information could and will be used against you. Sorry for all of the legal words but I like to be up front with potential clients and my clients. Best regards, Steven M. Fahlgren Attorney, Arbitrator and Certified Circuit Civil Mediator Law Offices of Steven M. Fahlgren, P.A. Phone: (904) 845-2255 Phone: (407) 852-1711

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


As the prior attorney mentioned, the proper method for dealing with this issue to obtain a free credit report disclosure from all three bureaus. Then complete an identity theft affidavit along with the police report, and send to every creditor that has a fraudulent account as well as the three credit bureaus. This will put everyone on notice and will give them an opportunity to rectify the issue. If they fail to fix the issues, you may then be entitled to a claim.

Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more info visit This is not legal advice. Seek a consultation with an attorney in your jurisdiction. An attorney/client relationship is not sought or formed by the participation in this website. I am licensed to practice law in New York and New Jersey.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Posted is free and you'll get reports from all 3 credit bureaus and it's easy to dispute anything on them. And put a freeze on them so they contact you whenever someone attempts to use your credit. He probably has a driver license or state ID with your name and birthdate so contact the DMV and they will do there own internal investigation. It's pretty easy to do and should not cost much if you want an attorney to assist.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Credit card fraud topics

Recommended articles about Credit card fraud

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics