ID state law regarding public utilities, reading and recording power meter

Wendell, ID |
Filed under: Energy and utilities

Can a Town legally threaten to fine an individual $300.00 for reading their own water meter?

While such matters are controlled by state and local law, in general a utility follows its tariff (written rules) with respect to meter readings and how and under what circumstances a customer's meter reading is utilized. Typically, a customer can read their own meter, but the utility will use the meter reading required under their tariff. Thus, the utility determines what meter reading is used in accordance with its rules.

The Idaho Public Utilities Commission ( has good information and a complaint process ( In the alternative, you can call (208) 334-0300. I do not practice in Idaho.

I recommend trying to resolve the problem directly with the utility before filing a complaint with the state public utility commission.

Energy and utilities topics

Recommended articles about Energy and utilities