Iam on H1b, Waiting for Green Card Shoplifting first offense, what will happen?

Asked 5 months ago - Sunnyvale, CA

i was caught at a retailer for shoplifting for $25 merchandise and loss prevention team didnot call the Police but took my Driving License details and SSN ( they got the number wrong) , they asked me to sign couple of papers or they said they will call the police which i signed, and they said they will send a letter to pay for the merchandise. at this point what will happen.

1. will my Green card application will be in trouble ?
2. will my future H1b visa extensions will be affected ?
3. will they proceed with criminal charges?
4. if i hire an attorney can the charges be dropped off the record ?
5. wt will the cost of attrorney for me to handle this case ?
Thank you for answering the questions

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . Depends on the final conviction. In all likelihood your green-card will not suffer unless you continue on the shoplifting path.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . 1. Not likely, no.
    2. No.
    3. It's entirely up to them.
    4. "Dropped"? Highly unlikely, should they decide to notify the police. But a smart criminal attorney y with good contacts to prosecutor's office might succeed in convincing them to reduce the charge you'll be convicted of from "petty theft" to "trespass on chattels" or even "disturbing the peace", both misdemeanors with no immigration law consequences (only the first time, that is!)
    5. Will depend on the individual attorney. Contact a few good ones and ask.

3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

Answered . You will get a notice to appear for your criminal charge, and you will get a letter from the retail store asking you to pay for the inconvenience you caused them. I am assuming the items were already returned to the store. When you get the notice, take it to a criminal attorney and discuss what you should expect at the hearing. Run it by an immigration attorney to ensure it, at the least, qualifies for a petty offense exception to non immigrant visas and green card applications.