Iam in the process of executing a short sale on a house in FL.The lender is in agreement however the PMI ins. wants me to sign a

Asked almost 5 years ago - Hampton, VA

Does the PMI insurer have the athority to stop the sale? they want a prommisary note of $50,000 to ok the sale.We have negotiated it to $35.000 but I do not see how they have this right.The alternative is foreclosure.would we be better off doing the latter?

1. Stephen Jeffrey Berlinsky

Pro

Answered . My experiience in Florida is that it is quite common for the PMI insurer to ask for a promissory note. If you are contemplating bankruptcy, a note to a PMI insurer is a type of debt that can be discharged in a bankruptcy. Since you live in Virginia you would need to file in Virginia although the foreclosed property is in Florida.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now