Iam in felony court. Dwi 3.

San Antonio, TX |

got my letter in the mail to go for the final consultation. What exactly does that mean? Im in bexar county.

Do you have an attorney. You need one. This is felony court. If you have a lawyer assisting you, you need to talk to your attorney about this. Or was the letter from the lawyer? If that is so, it would appear your lawyer wants to talk with you.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

There is a felony case management plan in place in several of the criminal district courts that calls for specific predictable settings on the road to trial. The settings are as follows: 1 - Evidence Exchange, 2 - Status Conference, 3 - Motions Setting, 4 - Final Consultation, and 5+ - Trial. If your case is at the final consult stage, that means your next setting is a possible trial. DWI-3rd/More is a 3rd degree felony, and even with no prior felonies, it carries a possible 2 to 10 years TDC time or 2 to 10 years probation. Getting probation on a DWI 3rd/More is tricky. District Judges like to see a DWI defendant on bond taking proactive steps to get treatment before they will feel comfortable granting probation. You need an attorney that will work with you to be making effective use of the time you have left before trial, and, hopefully, to be able to avoid trial. I would ask you additional questions that would help me give you more specific advice. Please call my office today for a free consultation.

A final consultation setting is the very last setting before your case is moved to the Trial Docket. At this point, you should have an attorney. If you can't afford one, then you need to ask the court to apply for a court appointed one. Preparing for trial can take time and if you are already at the end of the pretrial settings, time is of the essence for you! There are many good local criminal defense attorneys listed here on AVVO.com, call one us so we can make sure that you are not sacrificing your freedom by delaying the prep work needed to help defend you.

It means that you are very likely very close to having your freedom in the hands of a jury. How close depends upon the court in question.

You should be in contact with your attorney and have a good idea what will happen next.

One last thing to remember. Please avoid posting questions about your case on the Internet. You risk the prosecutor or police finding facts about your case they would not ordinarily know about. If you have a lawyer, restrict your questions to them. All your communications with your lawyer are protected by the attorney/client privilege. Matters you post on the Internet are NOT protected. If you don't have a lawyer, you need one quickly. The other lawyer comments recommend sound courses of action in this regard.

DUI court topics