Iam 54 on social security and disabilty my father passed away in november of 2003 can i get money off of him disabilty or soci

Princeton, MN |

i was wondering if i can get money from social security or disability from my dad iam already on social security and disability. He passed away in november of 2003 is there any thing i can get from him since he has passed away

Other than a death benefits of $255, there is no other benefit available after the loss of a parent. SS does not work like a private pension or retirement fund. For private pension or retirement funds, when the owner dies, the money goes to the identified beneficiary or survivors. SSA only pays benefits to the retired worker until he dies. There are benefits available for a surviving widow, but when the wage earner (your father) dies, benefits end.

Sorry I cannot give you a more favorable response. Best of luck to you.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Only unmarried children who are under 18 (or, to age 19 if attending elementary or secondary school full time) can be eligible to receive Social Security benefits when a parent dies.

If you would like additional information, here is a helpful link:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/survivorplan/onyourown4.htm

I am sorry that the information is not better for you. I wish you well.

Andrew W. Norfleet, Esquire Helping disabled individuals throughout Pennsylvania. awn@norlaflaw.com www.norlaflaw.com DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania and is personal in nature, not professional in nature. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality

Hello. I defer to the information provided. In the event you want further legal advice, do contact a private attorney. Since finances are an issue for you, some attorneys, myself included, will provide you with a reduced fee based on your need. Sorry for the loss of your father. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq., Civil Law, Rule 14 Qualified Neutral, Minnesota Supreme Court Roster Mediator, Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC, Phone: 612.296-9666 every day of the year until 8 p.m. daily. See www.dwyerlawfirm.net

Wills and estates topics