Iam 54 on social security and disabilty my father passed away in november of 2003 can i get money off of him disabilty or soci

Asked almost 2 years ago - Princeton, MN

i was wondering if i can get money from social security or disability from my dad iam already on social security and disability. He passed away in november of 2003 is there any thing i can get from him since he has passed away

1. 5

Answered . Other than a death benefits of $255, there is no other benefit available after the loss of a parent. SS does not work like a private pension or retirement fund. For private pension or retirement funds, when the owner dies, the money goes to the identified beneficiary or survivors. SSA only pays benefits to the retired worker until he dies. There are benefits available for a surviving widow, but when the wage earner (your father) dies, benefits end.

Sorry I cannot give you a more favorable response. Best of luck to you.

2. 3

Answered . Hello. I defer to the information provided. In the event you want further legal advice, do contact a private attorney. Since finances are an issue for you, some attorneys, myself included, will provide you with a reduced fee based on your need. Sorry for the loss of your father. All the best.

3. 3

Answered . Only unmarried children who are under 18 (or, to age 19 if attending elementary or secondary school full time) can be eligible to receive Social Security benefits when a parent dies.

If you would like additional information, here is a helpful link:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/survivorplan/onyo...

I am sorry that the information is not better for you. I wish you well.