I94 has expired, today got letter in mail that my I94 extension has been denied. How long can I stay before leaving USA.

Denver, CO |

I am planning to leave within 2 weeks, is it ok if I leave 2 weeks from today

Read the denial letter closely ... it usually tells you how long you have ... if any.

Sometimes there is no grace period allowed ... thus every day you delay will result in you accumulating unlawful presence.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

The letter should state at what point you are considered out of status - it may be the same day as the denial, in which case you do not have any more time.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

As other attorneys suggested the denial letter would state the terms of departure however the sooner you leave the better it will look for your next application for a visa. In any case do not accrue more than 180 days since running out of status (whenever it starts).