I9 requirements for illegal aliens in California...

Bakersfield, CA |

Can employment authorization cards, along with an SS# that state a person is valid for work only with DHS Authorization ,the only documents an illegal alien needs to work in California? I've read that you need a valid SS card and a picture ID to satisfy I 9 requirements. I don't want to hire someone that can't legally work in the US.

An EAD is authorization to work. See form I-9 on the USCIS website.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

2. "Illegal aliens" are, of course, not permitted to legally work in the U.S. Please see the I-9 form for a list of identity and employment authorization documents that can be presented by a potential employee to an employer.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. A valid employment authorization card and social security number should be sufficient to employ the individual - assuming it's theirs.

My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney before taking any action.