I9 requirements for illegal aliens in California...

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bakersfield, CA

Can employment authorization cards, along with an SS# that state a person is valid for work only with DHS Authorization ,the only documents an illegal alien needs to work in California? I've read that you need a valid SS card and a picture ID to satisfy I 9 requirements. I don't want to hire someone that can't legally work in the US.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . "Illegal aliens" are, of course, not permitted to legally work in the U.S. Please see the I-9 form for a list of identity and employment authorization documents that can be presented by a potential employee to an employer.

    Please click the link below for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . An EAD is authorization to work. See form I-9 on the USCIS website.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Justin G. Randolph

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . A valid employment authorization card and social security number should be sufficient to employ the individual - assuming it's theirs.

    My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,518 answers this week

3,125 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,518 answers this week

3,125 attorneys answering