I601A question with previous deportation order but never left and married to a U.S. citizen for 20 years and have kids.

Asked over 1 year ago - Cupertino, CA

My uncle received the deportation order(illegal entering through Mexico) in 1986 El Paso but never left. He has wife(U.S. Citizen) married for 20 years and two children (who became U.S. citizen through his wife). He said he contacted the lawyer and he has a few options.

1. he can apply to re-open the case with the concession from the court. He said this is possible but not easy.
2. He can leave the country and apply extreme-hardship waiver while staying in Korea.
3. He can wait until new provisional I601A to be effective and go from there.

He runs the small business and his wife completely relies on him for the living. Experts, which option would you recommend?
Also, what is the chance of provisional law be effective and will Romney being president remove it?

thank you.

1. Shah Iqbal Nawaaz Peerally

Answered . Proving extreme hardship is the problem with the 601 waivers. The truth is that either filed here or there the standard is the same to win. However if the 601A is finalized then the person has better chance of not being stuck abroad. As for Romney only God and Romney knows!

2. Rebecca Cook Black

Answered . His attorney has advised him of the options. it is up to him to make his decision based on his comfort level with each. There are no guarantees on any of them.

3. Veronica Tunitsky

Answered . It is unclear whether your uncle would be eligible to partake in the provisional waiver program because the proposed rules suggest that persons with prior deportation orders would not be eligible. The only ground of inadmissibility the provisional program would waive is unlawful presence.

Have to wait for the final rules to be published in order to have a concrete answer.

Having said that, the government would look at your uncle as a deportation absconder since he failed to depart pursuant to an order of deportation. In a prices that is heavily discretionary, he would have to show why he merits a favorable exercise of discretion and how his qualified relatives would suffer extreme hardship.

This is no easy feat as I advise you to consult with an attorney who is experienced in waivers. You can visit my website to find a lot of free information about waivers and contact me if you'd like a consultation: http://www.tunitskylaw.com/I-601_Waivers.html