Skip to main content

I485 marriage interview and partitioner's Birth Certificate?

Los Angeles, CA |

Hello, My wife sponsored me to adjust my status. We have an interview coming up in two weeks. Most of the documents requested were submitted already. Do I still need to bring copies of them along with the originals? Also, They are asking for my wife's (partitioner) Birth Certificate, she does not have one. She became a naturalized citizen when she was only 16. She is originally from Pakistan and does not even have Pakistani passport or any other ID. It will be almost impossible to get a birth certificate from Pakistan where she does not have any family or friends. Can she just tell them that at the interview and would that satisfy them?.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Definitely bring copies of ALL the documents that you are bringing to the interview. Make sure you organize them in such a fashion that would allow you to quickly find the necessary document.
    USCIS needs to verify that your wife is indeed a US citizen. While her US passport is usually a sufficient proof of that, sometimes (usually when there is a doubt as to the authenticity of the passport), USCIS may request to see a Certificate of Naturalization (for those who naturalized) or Birth Certificate (for those born in the US). Since your wife was not born in the US, her birth certificate should not be required to adjust the petitions/applications for adjustment of status.

    DISCLAIMER: The information appearing here is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal advice to any individual or entity. We urge you to contact us at (310) 988-5092 or or consult with your own legal advisor before taking any action based on information appearing here.

  2. The interview form is generic. Thus, it may ask for you to bring 'impossible' things.

    Yes, even if you sent in copies, bring the originals to the interview.

    As for her birth certificate, she should bring the birth 'verification' documents she submitted when she immigrated to the US.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  3. I concur.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  4. It is always best to have copies that one can provide USCIS with at the interview in case the previously submitted copies have been misplaced.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics