I485 interview in Virginia.

Fairfax, VA |

My case began as a Vawa case in 2011 and was approved 2013.
Now I will apply for residence, how long will it take to get the interview and what should I expect in the interview. If I am going to take my daughter with me, will they asked questions to her about the violence.

The interview will be scheduled approximately 5 months after the application is filed. The interview generally focuses on your eligibility for lawful permanent residence. You are typically asked the questions on the application for adjustment of status. You may also be asked questions related to any criminal arrests, unlawful presence, illegal entry, etc. You are not typically asked any questions regarding the abuse at the interview as that matter has been decided.

That being said, I cannot tell you exactly what you may be asked or potential issues that may come up as there is insufficient information available. If you are concerned about how the interview will go, you may want to consult an experienced immigration attorney in more detail about the matter.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654,, The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

It is difficult to predict how long it will take for the interview.

Depending on your daughter's age and what you put on the VAWA application, they may, or may not ask her questions.

I suggest bringing an attorney with you.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

The interviews are scheduled fairly quickly 3-5 months. I've had some officers ask general questions about the abuse. But mostly they focus on the eligibility for the green card. I'd recommend consulting an attorney.

Recommended articles about Immigration