I485 interview

Asked about 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

I had my interview yesterday at the Atlanta office and the IO officer took my i94 but didn't stamp my passport. He didn't say I have been approved or denied but just said they will get back to me in 30days. What does that mean? Is that a good or bad thing? I'm so nervous but the interview went well and he didn't ask for more documents.... Pls help

1. David Nabow Soloway

3

Best Answer

Answered . At an adjustment of status interview the USCIS Atlanta Field Office generally will examine an I-94 cards that have expired, and then staple it to the agency's file and retain it -- there is nothing unusual about that. It has been quite a few years since the USCIS placed stamps in passports for temporary evidence of approved Lawful Permanent Resident status (except in unusual circumstances where evidence is provided of the time-urgent need, such as when one has purchased airfare for an international flight scheduled within a few days), and so failure to place a stamp in your passport is not unusual.

Depending upon whether problems with your case may exist for which you are not aware, the USCIS may promptly approve your case and mail a "Green Card" to you (usually within about 10-14 days); it may issue a request for additional evidence, or in rare cases it may deny your case. When a case cannot be approved on the day of the interview, regrettably, the USCIS Atlanta Field Office often delays final adjudication for a long time. If an immigration attorney had represented you in the process, the attorney could have pressed the interviewing officer for a decision or at least information about what may remain to be done to adjudicate your case, or the attorney would have been able to advise you about problems or weaknesses in the case with recommendations about how to address them.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . It means that the officer retained your I-94, and no decision has yet been made in your case. Nothing else.

3. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

2

Answered . It means exactly what the immigration officer said. You have to wait 30 days for a decision.