I130 process for illegal alien

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

Our lawyer sent the i130 application last week. My husband is currently living in the us undocumented. We have been married for two years and have a six month old baby. I am a us citizen and my husband has no criminal record or deportations. We have been told next we would get an interview in Mexico. Is this correct? What would be the process and about how long? And would we need to file anything else? We just want to get a second opinion.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . Sounds like you are doing everything right.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

5

Answered . Yes, he will be required to go to Mexico for his visa ... unless the law changes.

Having a baby and no criminal record will probably help with the next step which is an I-601a waiver.

It appears that your lawyer knows what he/she is doing ... listen to him/her.

3. J Charles Ferrari

4

1

Answered . You have a lawyer. Your lawyer knows the facts of your case. You need to direct your questions to your lawyer. It would be foolish to rely on answer obtained online from people who do not know all the facts of your case.

4. Jeffrey B. Peltz

Pro

4

Answered . yes your interview would be in Mexico after your attorney files for a 601 waiver and gets it approved.

5. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

4

Answered . Yes, he would go to Mexico for the interview unless he is 245(i) eligible or overstayed a visa.

6. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

3

Answered . Yes. As it stands now, he will have to go the Mexico. If there is any other information that is needed you will receive a Request for Evidence (RFE).

7. Danny Garmo

1

Answered . I understand you said your husband was undocumented. Important question is how he entered the United States, was it with inspection or without inspection meaning did he enter legally or illegally. If he entered without inspection or illegally, then the ideal course is getting the I-130 approved and notifying National Visa Center (NVC) of the desire to file a provisional I-601a waiver. This can be done by emailing NVC at: NVCI601A@state.gov

8. Elliot M.S. Yi

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. However, you should be asking these questions directly to your lawyer. Good luck.