I wrote up a contract to my landlord, he rented the house to me and I agreed to pay on time or I move out.

Paterson, NJ |
Filed under: Tenant rights

I don't have money and Im afraid he can just say well you need to leave without a court summons. Since I wrote up an agreement saying I would agree to move if I did not pay.. Can he do this without going to the court..He never wrote up a lease and I never gave a security and Ive been here for 6 months

1. No, your landlord must still go through the Court system to evict you. If you can't afford an attorney, contact legal aid.

Leonard R. Boyer, Esq. 201-.675-.5577. If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer" Please be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. You are a month to month tenant if you do not have a lease. Yes, the LL will have to take you to court to evict you. However, unless you can work out an arrangment to pay on the court date or you have all the past due rent by 4:00(:30)PM that day the LL will receive a warrant of removal. The sheriff will lock you out within 7-10 days from that date. Non-paymnet regardless of the reason in NJ will result in eviction unless the LL and tenant come to an agreement.

3. Your landlord would need to go to court to evict you.

Landlord-tenant law topics