I wrote a lease on the computer for my tenants. It was not notarized during signing. Is it legal or can I move them out?

Tampa, FL |

The lease is for 6 months, resigned at their 1 year renwal time period.

1. The lease does not have to be notarized to be enforceable. Also, be aware that if you allow six month leases, you must collect sales tax on any lease that is for six months or less. In this case, however, since it appears your original lease was for more than six months, the renewal which extended the tenancy for another six months does not require you to collect sales tax.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information provided by this website is not intended, nor should it be construed, to be legal advice. Your use of this website, and/or the sending of information to the Fucillo Law Firm, P.L., does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please do not send us any confidential or privileged information until such time that an actual attorney/client relationship is actually established.

2. Leases don't need to be notarized. If they are in default, you will need to follow eviction procedures. If they are not in default, you will need to honor the lease. If you want them to move, perhaps offer cash for keys if they know you will not renew their lease.

Landlord-tenant law topics