I would like too know where, on-line, I can go to print a Living Will so I can fill it out and use it if needed.

Asked about 2 years ago - 24439

Surgery is soon doctor suggested to have one in case something went wrong. surgery will be on my lower back.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Mark Westerfield

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . There are several different forms that you should prepare and none of them is actually called a "Living Will." In Virginia, you have a Durable Power of Attorney and an Advance Directive. You need both and they do very different things. In many cases, you should also use a form to specifically designte the person who you want to make medical decisions for you if you are unable to do so yourself.

    Because you asked for a form, I am providing you with three links for publicly available forms. One is from the VA (Veteran Affairs), one is from Virginia Department of Aging and the third is the Advance Directive which is in the Virginia Code. The Advance Directive is what most people call a "Living Will." It also includes a section that specifies DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) instructions.

    The first two forms, but not the form from the Virginia Code, include plain english explanations of the forms. HOWEVER, I would STRONGLY urge you to sit down with a lawer who can explain the forms to you AND include in that process one or more family/friends, possibly the person you would designate as decision maker on the Durable Power of Attorney and Advance Directive, so that everyone knows exactly what you are thinking.

    In my experience, even people of ordinary intelligence do not prepare these forms in the way which actually reflects their wishes. When I review the forms with them and explain to them what they were instructing with the forms, they almost always tell me that they made a mistake and we redo the forms. It should be simple to do this but it is not. When you read through these forms, if there is anything which is confusing or unclear to you, please do yourself the favor of going to meet with a local lawyer and get help with these documents.

    Mark Westerfield
    Practicing in Northern Virginia and DC

  2. John Gus Zgourides

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . These are cheap. You should consider a living will and a durable power of attorney for health care. If you need a will also, some lawyers offer a package price for all. Forms are not always effective. Hire a lawyer in your state. These are simple documents and legal fees should be cheap.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,377 answers this week

3,068 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,377 answers this week

3,068 attorneys answering