Skip to main content

I would like to see if I can have the parental rights of my son's biological father terminated.

Katy, TX |

I would like to see if I can have the parental rights of my son's biological father terminated. He has not seen his son in over 5+ years and is a convicted felon and drug dealer. My current husband of 4 1/2 years is ready to adopt my son as well. Since I applied for Medicaid, they have contacted the attorney general to try and collect child support from the biological father, however I do not want to start collecting money from him as I believe that will give him some ground to stand on as far as custody and visitation (if he still wants it). I have not spoken to him in 5+ years and he has not contacted me either. I live in Texas and I believe he is living in Illinois. He also did not sign the birth certificate. Do you think it is possible to have his rights terminated?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should speak with a local family lawyer about your options to involuntarily terminate the biological father's rights and have your husband adopt him. Different family courts in Texas treat these cases differently so it's important that you speak with a local attorney.


In all cases involving children, the court is obligated to do whatever it finds is in the best interest of the children. If you ask a court to terminate his parental rights, you need to be prepared to show that terminating his rights is in the best interest of your son. The fact that your husband is willing to adopt him would help your case. Cases such as this are very dependent on the surrounding facts, so I recommend you visit with an attorney experienced in this area and give him or her all the facts you can think of.

This is a general answer and does not constitute legal advice. By answering this question, I am not creating an attorney/client relationship, and no such relationship will be created unless a representation agreement is signed by both you and me.


You certainly have grounds, but there can be a lot of factors. Contact a good family law attorney to discuss your options.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer