I would like to refer this question to a civil litigation attorney I was illegally sentenced can i sue the City,State,Judge, Fed

Asked over 1 year ago - 11414

I had been sentenced to a petty larceny charge and given three years probation and agreed to pay restitution. three weeks into the original plea I requested from my defense attorney to restore my case back to the calender to request to modify the payments schedule,due to my social security disability benifites were being stopped due to an over payment. without any violation of probation. and my payments were not even due yet we presented the legal document to the judge without any given reason the judge said remand and my attorney was besides herself I spent one year in Rikers Island while incarcerated i had appealed my illegal sentence to the appeals court i received a favorable decision over one year after my release,I lost my apartment, my family resulted to a shelter,from this unjust

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . No. NY judges get absolute immunity.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  2. Constantine D. Buzunis

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Well generally Judges have a qualified immunity unless you can show intentional misconduct or fraud. Maybe there is some case against your lawyer or the D.A.? You should consult a civil lawyer that specializes in government tort cases. Don't delay as I am sure your State has claim requirements that require you to file a claim within a certain deadline or your case is barred! Good Luck

    Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.... more
  3. Alan Jay Dion

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should consult a lawyer that specializes in civil rights litigation. There may be immunity but for really egregious violations of civil liberties there may be some way to compensate you. I'm not saying you will get anywhere but it is worth a consultation with a civil right lawyer.

    This answer is not intended to be legal advice in a lawyer/client relationship. Misunderstanding of the answer or... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,424 answers this week

2,968 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,424 answers this week

2,968 attorneys answering