I would like to move to my home state NJ when the divorce is over will i be allowed to?

Asked over 1 year ago - East Rockaway, NY

Married 27 years. 17 yr old child.

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

13

49

Answered . You certainly may move. You may be able to relocate with your 17 year old son, but that will depend, in part, upon whether your son wants to move with you and whether his father agrees. In either event, I suggest you arrange for a consultation with an attorney as soon as possible because there are many, many issues to consider when contemplating the dissolution of a 27-year long marriage. You want to be sure that you have all the help and information you need to fully protect your rights. Good luck!

2. Maria C. Tebano

9

Best Answer

Answered . Whether you will be permitted to move to NJ with your child after your divorce is final depends on whether your spouse will consent to you moving with the child or whether the court will grant permission for you to move. When your child is 18 years old, you will not need consent to move, since custody orders terminate when the child is 18 years old, even though child support orders terminate at the age of 21.

3. Jean M. Mahserjian

Pro

11

Answered . Relocation is an issue that comes up in custody determinations. The first question to determine is who will your 17 year old live with. A 17 year old is given a significant level of decision making on that issue. However, that does not mean that you will definitely be given the right to move to NJ.

If your spouse fights relocation, you can consider waiting until your child turns 18. At that age, a NY Court will not make a custody decision and your spouse would have a very limited ability to block your relocation.

Speak with a local matrimonial attorney about this issue. A local attorney can advise you how your local judges handle this issue.

4. Howard A. Schwartz

9

Answered . It should not be a problem if there are no custody or visitation disputes. You should consider consulting with a matrimonial attorney to make sure you receive everything you are entitled to from the marriage. Good luck.

5. Mark A. Feldman

5

Answered . Assuming you get custody, relocation with a child is always a factor in a divorce action. It will depend on the child's best interests, meaning what plans you have for the child's schooling as well as access to the father. It will depend on how far you will be moving and how it impacts on the father's visitation. I suggest you discuss the issue with your attorney and if you do not have an attorney, then you should consult with a family law practitioner. I can be reached at 718-627-7900 to set up a consultation.