Skip to main content

I would like to know what is the process to get married with my boyfriend who is american citizen and I am Venezuelan?

Maricao, PR |

He lives in Chicago, Illinois, I live in Maracaibo Venezuela, I do not have Visa to get in the US.
I would like to know that, If we get married here in my country, and we want to live in the US, what is the process we need to take?
Thanks in advance!

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    The quicker way is for your fiance to apply for K-1 so you can come to the U.S. to marry him. The slower process is to marry (where ever) then to start the residency process in the U.S. by applying for I-130.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

  2. You can either apply for a fiancee visa, enter with the visa, and then get married in the United States and apply for your green card in the U.S, or get married in Venezuela and apply for an immigrant visa through the US Consulate in Venezuela. Either way it is advisable for you to hire an experienced immigration attorney.

  3. He can travel to your country and get married to you in post Chavez Venezuela ad then petition for you as his wife, which would be ideal or seek a fiancee visa for you and then marry in within 90 days of arrival to US at which point he will be able to seek an adjustment of status for you to that of the LRP.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics