I would like to know what I am entitled to in regards to alimony after being a full time wife for 32 years.

Lemont, IL |
Filed under: Divorce Alimony

My husband has asked me to devote my marriage to taking care of him and our children, who are now grown and on their own. He is a pastor who is resigning and there is evidence of another woman involved. I am willing to part peacefully, but I will need some help financially. I have recently acquired a part time job at Macy's for minimum wage and have been unable to secure a full time one as of yet.

We live in Will County in Illinois and apartments run around $1,200.00 in safe neighborhoods. We live in a townhouse on a golf course right now.

My husband just got a new job and is a retired Marine. His total income is $6,900.

He has asked me to tell him what I would need. I want to be fair. Could you please advise me on what is fair in this situation?

Thank you.

Do not negotiate with your husband. You must get in with a divorce attorney for this. He does not get to decide what you need or get. The income he gets is all marital as is all the marital assets. An online forum is not the place for this type of advice. You will do yourself a great injustice if you do not hire a lawyer with expertise in maintenance and divorce. Your husband has already violated your trust. Why would he be fair?

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

*are

There is no way to advise you in this simple Q&A forum. Hire a lawyer who will be able to look into your needs and finances in depth. Do not let your husband tell you what you need. Let your lawyer help you decide what is fair. You are fortunate that there re many good lawyers in your are. Speak to several. Hie the one you like best.

You are entitled to maintenance (that's what alimony is now called.) It sounds like you've committed 32 years to being a homemaker. That's admirable and you deserve appropriate compensation. There are many factors a court takes into consideration when deciding how much maintenance to award and for how long, including lifestyle and the parties' financial situations. You've taken the first step by seeking out additional information; the second step is hiring a very good family law attorney who can best represent your interests. Thank you.

When I answer your question on Avvo, it DOES NOT establish an attorney/client relationship between us; however, if you're interested in discussing your individual situation, please feel free to reach out to me. I look forward to hearing from you.