I would like to know what are his chances of getting full or joint custody of our child?

Asked 6 months ago - Hampton, VA

My daughters father recently filed for full/visitation custody of our daughter. I am have her primary care giver since she was born. He is currently on probation for beating me before and after the birth of our daughter, he has also threatened to kill (I have witnesses) my daughter and I before and after her birth.

1. Michael Cleveland Daugherty

Pro

3

Answered . The court will consider what is in the best interest of the child in accordance with Virginia law and make its determination based on the evidence presented in Court. That being said, you should hire an attorney or at least consult with an attorney about assisting you in putting on your evidence properly and presenting your case as those things can be very challenging for someone that has never done it before. Further, your failure to properly present your case could result in an unfavorable outcome. The stakes are high, consult with an attorney.

2. Deborah Ann Johnson Wilson

1

Answered . Virginia Code Section 20-124.3 provides the statutory framework for resolution of custody /visitation matter. If there is a custody order in place, the father must show a material change in circumstances ,since entry of the last order. that is in the best interest of the child. If there is no custody order, he must establish that it is in the best interest of the child to be in his custody. Custody cases are complex. The court will listen to the testimony, review all relevant evidence, and make a decision based upon the above statute and the facts of your case. Due to the serious nature of the issue involved, you need to hire an experienced family lawyer to protect your rights. Best of luck~

3. Lauren G. Coleman

Answered . The court looks to the best interest of the child in custody cases. The law presumes that joint legal custody is in the best interest of the child. Joint legal custody means that both parents make decisions about the child. It does not mean they both have the child an equal amount of time. The father is likely to get joint legal custody with visitation privileges on the weekends. He may have is visitation supervised if he has harmed the child or the court believes he might harm the child, but the fact that he has made threats will not prevent him from having visitation.